South Carolina Board of Social Work Examiners
General Information for South Carolina Social Work Licensure Applicants
The requirements for licensure are identified below. PLEASE READ THE MATERIAL CAREFULLY TO BE CERTAIN THAT YOU ARE APPLYING FOR THE APPROPRIATE LEVEL.
NON REFUNDABLE APPLICATION FEE: $45.00 FOR EACH LEVEL
Licensed Baccalaureate Social Worker (LBSW)
Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW)
Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW-Clinical Practice) and
Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW-Advanced Practice)
SEE REQUIREMENTS FOR EACH LEVEL
2. Check or money order: $45.00 payable to LLR, Board of Social Work Examiners. Each of the three levels of licensure requires a separate fee of $45.00 (NON-REFUNDABLE).
3. Transcript(s) of college credits: Each transcript must be an official transcript, sent directly from the educational institution in a sealed envelope to the Board office. Student copies are not acceptable! Only official transcripts with degree reflected will be accepted.
4. Verification of Licensure Form: A verification of licensure form is required for EVERY state in which you are licensed, active or inactive. Make copies of the form as needed.
5. ASWB exam: Once you have submitted your application and the necessary paperwork for the level of licensure for which you are applying, the Board will approve you to sit for the examination and issue you a Candidate Handbook. READ THIS HANDBOOK CAREFULLY! You must then call the testing service to register for the examination. Please note that the Board will not approve you to take the licensure exam until the items required for each level of licensure are submitted to the Board office.
6. Reciprocity: South Carolina does not have formal reciprocity with any other state, however, if you have already passed the ASWB examination in another state and the level of the exam you took is appropriate to the licensure level you are applying for in South Carolina, your score will be accepted in South Carolina. You will have to contact the testing service ASWB and request that they send an official copy of your test score directly to the Board office. Their number is (800) 225-6880. Test score verifications are not accepted from other states.